Joshua Kuns graduating from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), thereafter, began working for one of Southern California’s most aggressive employment law attorneys. While there, Mr. Kuns represented employees, often securing large verdicts against employers and corporations. Later in his career, Mr. Kuns “switched sides” and began working in some of the nations largest and most prestigious law firms representing employers, including “Blue Chip” and Fortune 500 companies. Mr. Kuns has provided legal advice and litigation support to some of the world’s biggest corporations, including IBM and Apple. He has also worked closely with CEO’s and other executives of emerging growth and start-up companies to help them make crucial employment decisions about their business worth billions of dollars. Today, Mr. Kuns works closely with both public and private sector clients – including a number of local school districts – to resolve their employment litigation matters.
During his career, Mr. Kuns has assisted in mediations, arbitrations, labor board and worker’s compensation hearings, DFEH and EEOC investigations, and the like. He has negotiated and drafted non-compete, retention, employment and severance agreements. He has advised companies on cutting-edge legal matters where there is no clear answer.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Named “Rising Star” by California Super Lawyers (2013-2017).
- “Diversity Advocate of the Year”, UC Berkeley Resident Services, 2003-2004
- Successfully moved for summary judgment on behalf of an internationally known university against an employee alleging discrimination and harassment based on race, disability and protected activities.
- Provided employment law support in an all-cash acquisition of an internationally known company valued at approximately $16.7 billion.
- Successfully obtained dismissals through demurrers and Motions for Summary Judgment on behalf of public and private entity clients in a variety of employment and labor law issues.
- Counsel to various companies providing pre-litigation investigation, assessment and recommendations involving human resource matters and potential employment litigation.
Member of the State Bar of California’s Labor & Employment Law Section.
University of California, Berkeley, Bachelor of Arts (Rhetoric) (2005)
University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), Juris Doctor Degree (2010)
Associate Editor, Berkeley Journal of Employment & Labor Law (2008-2009)
“10 Rules of Startup Employment Labor Law,” SmartRecruiters, May, 2014
“Public School Students Sue California”; Court Rules Fundamental Right to
“Quality of Education,” Jackson Lewis Workplace Blog, June, 2014